May 14, 2012

Filling in Holes (August 31, 2011)


I am a business owner. I am a mother. I am a newlywed. I volunteer and am active in my community.  I am a bookkeeper, a teacher and a mentor. I am a Sales and Marketing department. I am a friend. I am a writer. I am my own IT support (for those of you who know me, you'll appreciate the humour in this statement). I am all these things, and so much more. And as a fellow business owner, I suspect you are many of these as well.

When we're stretched to our limits, something's gotta give. What's your weakness? Where are your holes?

Mine was housecleaning. Although I keep a very tidy and organized house, I couldn't seem to find the time to actually clean it. Properly. Given that I run our offices out of my home and we frequently have clients dropping in, a clean home was really something that I needed to stay on top of. So one day I decided to stop stressing over it and I hired someone to come in once a week and take care of the cleaning for me. Her name is Michelle, she does an amazing job and I don't know how I ever got by without her (if you'd like her number, please send me an email). In three hours she manages to make my entire house sparkle and probably saves me a day of doing it on my own. Best money I ever spent.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that by eliminating a job that I didn't have time for and didn't really like doing in the first place, I've freed my time to focus on something else. Possibly traded off a $60 expense to be able to put in $300 or more of billable time. Or opened up my Saturday to spend time with my family. Get where I'm going here?

By the same token, a great bookkeeper is worth their weight in gold. Paperwork might not be your "thing", but it's ours, and not only will we complete your books properly, chances are pretty good that we'll get them done in a fraction of the time.

So go ahead and make some time for yourself. Life is calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment